Thursday, June 29, 2006

Thurs workout: shoulders and tris

Warm up:
10 minutes on recumbant bike
shoulder complex
lying (?) ox stretch.


Double dumbell swings outside of the legs:
1 x 5 x 40's to eye level
2 x 5 x 50's " " "

1 x 5 x 40's to snatch
2 x 5 x 50's " "

1 x 5 x 40's to snatch and press
2 x 5 x 50's to snatch and press

Single Arm Grapplers
1 x 5 x 80 each arm
3 x 5 x 105 " "

Cheat Lateral Raises
4 x 5 x 50's

Dips
5 x ?? x Bwt

Skull Crushers on the floor / easy curl bar
1 x 5 x 95
1 x 5 x 105
2 x 5 x 115
1 x 10 x 95

Good day. Not great but good. Feels good to start with a swing movement because that gets the heart pumping and aweat flowing. I'm not so sure the balance of the gym feels that way. LOL. Probably need to explain grapplers.

Grapplers are something I saw on WSB's site. Louie has a special machine set up for them so I guess what I do should be called garage grapplers or something. Ok some people will do close grip rows using a bar stuck into a corner and put weights on the end of the bar that is away from the corner. They then will stand with their back toward the corner and grasp the bar with both hands behind the weights and then row the weight, pivoting the open end of the bar against the corner.

Picture that same set up but get on the very end of the bar. Facing the corner, lift the end with the weight on it to shoulder height. Grasp the end of the bar with your palm and press it up and toward the corner. I like this because for some reason I can get the end of the bar closer to my shoulder than I can a db or a straight bar. Also the range of motion seems to helps loosen some scar tissue.

Some encouraging things starting to appear on the job front. Not concrete enough to post but It feels good to finally have something to look forward to.

Lots and lots of crap going on in Israel and the balance of the Mid-East. North Korea is a mystery.

Ok, why hasn't the mainstream media been reporting the WMD's we have been finding in Iraq beginning in '03? I'm not in love with GW but give him credit where credit is due. The media's blind hatered can't give the guy an inch. I'm very proud of my son who served all of '05 over there. God was good and brought him home safe.

It's going to get waaaay interesting before it all gets better.

Gotta fly.

God Bless.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gords said...

Thanks for the detailed description of grapplers. I think I got it. I'll give them a try next time I do shoulders.

I tried researching what a lying ox stretch is online and couldn't find anything. Can you describe that one?

Good workout. Wish I could join you sometime. Also I enjoy reading your non-lifting perspective too.

30/6/06 7:30 AM  
Blogger Stump said...

the Lying ox is something I found on Christian Powerlifters of America. They have a vid of it. Ox Mason thought it up. ON CP of A they call them Lion Ox.

Any way, take light dbs. 10-15# ea. Lie on your back on a flat bench. With palms facing and arms fully extended take the db's as far back over your head as you can and leth them go as far as they can toward the floor. Then raise them to a postion over your chest, rotate palms forward and with extended elbows let the db's go as far as they can past the hips toward the floor under control. This really stretches my rt rotator cuff and helps free up old scar tissue. Some people do these as a reg set and rep exercise, I tend to just use it as a stretch a couple of times a week.

Hope that helps. Gords, feel free to give me a buzz if you have any questions about what we do. We like to try different stuff to keep things fresh. So far we're all making gains something is working.

1/7/06 2:24 PM  
Blogger Gords said...

Lying ox sounds a little like a movement I thought up for stretching out the pecs. http://www.gordongridley.us/2006/05/me-chest-and-new-lift-angel-press.html

I'll have to try these Lying Oxs.

I've had some problems with a couple of knots in my back just under my shoulder blades and I think it's from not stretching at all before/after doing chest.

6/7/06 7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home